Monday, August 23, 2010

Curriculum and Technology

“In short, the theory and practice of technology integration need to be inextricably connected to the process and products of curriculum development.” (Rethinking Technology in Schools, Domine, p.99)

You can’t separate them, the process and products of curriculum development and the integration of technology. They need to be linked. Especially in our education system which is curriculum driven. Technology isn’t suppose to be thrown in haphazardly, just to be able to say - “look I am using technology in my classroom!”, but it should be intentional and connected to the process and products of curriculum development.

What this means to me - in a nut shell - plan what I am going to teach first, what are my goals for my students, what do I want them to learn, what knowledge and skills do I want them to gain and then look at where technology can support this process of learning. Though I find that sometimes I get caught up in the ‘toys’, there are some very interesting technology tools out there which are fun to play with and introduce my students to it. But as our professor continually reminds us - Pedagogy first!

No comments:

Post a Comment