Friday, August 20, 2010

Assessment - important or not

In my LTT course we have been discuss assessment in education and evaluating other peoples blogs/website and their opinions on assessment. I have to say I do not agree with Gary Stager in his statement that assessment is an interruption to learning. Assessment is there to inform both the teacher and the students about learning. Chris's statement of assessment as mentoring is powerful.

Assessment can be a powerful instructive tool for students. It becomes even more powerful with the students are involved in it in some way. Last year I had my class assess each others writing, I had them read another classmates essay, and assess whether the classmate had included the criteria I had set out at the beginning. I watched my students have 'ah ha' moments, and even before they were given their own essays back realize what they had missed. It was empowering for them and me.

No comments:

Post a Comment